Open Mic at Octavo's Books Cafe & Wine Bar - Cardiff Bay, Cardiff Bay
|Category||Poetry Open Mic|
|Location||Octavo's Books Cafe & Wine Bar - Cardiff Bay, West Bute Street, Cardiff Bay, CF10 5LJ|
|Venue phone||029 2049 1220|
|Host phone||07508 011349|
|Notes||An evening of song prose and poetry to celebrate Alix Edward's paintings at the lovely Octavo's Book Cafe & Wine Bar and independent bookshop in the heart of Cardiff Bay
In true Christmas spirit the bar will be serving pink gin, sloe gin, and gin cocktails and our wonderful chef Damian is making lemon gin & tonic cake and gin sorbet!!!
Definitely a culinary and cultural experience not to be missed :-) :-)
If you would like to read/sing - this is a friendly and supportive environment in which to share your work
With picturesque poetry from all the way from France with John Eliot #SshThePoetryofJohnEliot and the bard of a zillion forms of poetry Bryan Marshall #bryansangels
Ssh - The Poetry of John Eliot Bryan's Angels (Cardiff Bay Writing Group/Fight Club)
and paintings by Alix Edwards
The exhibition showing now until Dec 30th
Sponsored by Patrick Teehan Building Services and Octavo's Book Cafe & Wine Bar West Bute St Cardiff CF10 5LJ
nearest train - Cardiff Bay (1 min walk) nearest bus Millenium Centre (1 min walk!)
Suggested donation £3
about the art......
The story behind the paintings........
"I have had everything and lost everything because of a system that fails many women. When I found out about the Magdalene laundries I could feel the pain of these women who were criminalised for having children out of wedlock. These paintings are about motherhood, loss and giving something back to those young women who did nothing wrong except fall in love.” (Alix Edwards 2018)
On entering the laundries, women were identified by a number or saint’s name. There was a high mortality rate and those who died in childbirth and their babies were often buried in unmarked graves and sometimes outside hallowed ground altogether. These ‘foetus flowers’ restore identity to these women and their babies, and celebrate the beauty of birth, new life and motherhood.
Alix Edwards graduated in MA Photography from Central Saint Martins in 2016 and has an MA in Creative Writing. Her work has been widely exhibited in London including in the Truman Brewery, 198 Gallery, Angus Hughes, the Laundry & the Russian club and in The Gate, G39, Anna-Loka and Foxy’s. She writes and performs spoken word, coaches, facilitates workshops, and runs her own open Mic and Guest events in Cardiff: Company of Words.
To find out more come to one of the artist’s talks being held here this month.
www. alixedwardsartography.com FB @alixedardsartography
Instagram: artography_alixedwards FB @companyofwords
These paintings are for sale from the shop here at Octavo’s.
To commission an artwork/photo shoot or discuss coaching or a community project, email Alix @ AEdw892498@aol.com in the first instance.
|Welcomed mediums||Acoustic/Electro-Acoustic Poetry Comedy The Blues Storytelling Jazz|
These details were submitted by Alix Edwards on 09 Dec 2018
No known YouTube videos!If you know of one please report it here
† "Next Event" date is automatically calculated based on the details submitted. No guarantee of accuracy is given as venues sometimes cancel events without informing us. To avoid disappointment, always contact venue before travelling.
No pictures!If you have a snap-shot of this event, particularly the stage, please submit your image here
- Tuesday Night Open Mic at Venue, Whitchurch (Every Tuesday)
- Company Of Words Open Mic & Guest at The Little Man Coffee Company, Cardiff City (The Third Tuesday of each month)
- The Rummer Tavern, Cardiff City (Every Thursday)
- The Old Library, Caerphilly Town (The Last Thursday of each month)
- The Hollybush Inn, Machen (Fortnightly Thursdays)
- The Look Out Cafe Bar, Cardiff Bay (Sporadic Thursdays)
- Songwriters Appreciation Open Mic at The Coffee Cove, Barry Island (Every Friday)
- Greens Open Mic at Greens Vegan, Cardiff City (Every Friday)
- Mic The Dragon at Machen Legion, Machen (Fortnightly Fridays)
- Rudry Inn (Aka The Monte), Rudry (Every Sunday)
- The Whitchurch Jam Sessions at The Earl Haig Club, Whitchurch (The Last Sunday of each month)
- Sparkplug Open Mic at The Red Lion, Bonvilston (The Second and Last Sunday of each month)
- Pip's Open Mic at Three Horseshoes, Dinas Powys (Every Sunday)
- Windsor Arms, Penarth (The First Sunday of each month)
- Hopbunker, Cardiff City (Fortnightly Sundays)